BREAST MILK STORAGE: 12 BEST WAYS TO STORE BREAST MILK
You can store your breast-milk in a number of ways. It is very important that you keep it fresh so the baby can enjoy it. This article discusses about the safest way to store breast milk.
This method is necessary if you are not taking your baby to your work place or when you are going out. It is important so that your baby can continue to get the nutritional benefits of breast-milk. This will also keep your milk supply flowing.
12 BEST WAYS TO STORE BREAST MILK
- Keep it at room temperature of 25 degrees Celsius and no more than six hours.
- In a cool box with ice packs or blocks for up to twenty hours.
- In a refrigerator at 4 degrees Celsius or colder and for up to five days. Store it away from meat and other uncooked foods. This is to avoid being contaminated with the smell of those of foods.
- In the compartment of a freezer for up to two weeks.
- You can add new breast-milk to the one in the freezer so long as it was stored or milk on the same day.
- Always sterilize your containers so your baby can always get good quality and healthy breast-milk.
- Wash your hands thoroughly before milking your breast and keep everything as clean as possible.
- Lest you forget, always label your containers with the right dates so that you don’t get confused.
- Use the first in, first out method.
- Your breast nozzle should always be kept clean.
- You can freeze your milk, but when doing so, keep a little space or a gap at the top of the container. It is common for the breast milk to expand and occupy space when frozen.
- Please never use microwave to defrost your frozen breast-milk, if you do that, it is no longer breast milk. Always defrost it under normal cold temperature.