19 TIPS TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR NEWBORN
Taking care of the baby does not end after safe delivery. You need to know the tips to take care of your newborn to raise a very happy and balanced baby.
Especially for first time parents, tips come very handy and will give you the needed experience and confidence you need to care for a new born in no time.
Getting help after child birth for first time parents while at the hospital, talk to experts or anyone you think might be of help especially feeding specialists. Many hospitals have these specialist sometime’s called lactation consultants. Some experienced nurses could also be a great resource to show you how to handle, burp, change and care for your baby.
If you have the resources, you might want to hire a baby nurse or anyone responsible in the neighborhood for a short time. Certain nurses can help with in-home help or might refer you to home health agencies.
Relative’s and friends can be of great help at this time.
TIPS ON HANDLING A NEW BORN
- New born do not have strong immune systems, so you need to wash your hands preferably with a sanitizer so you don’t place them at risk with infection. Also make sure that anyone handling the new born have clean hands.
- As a new born, their neck is not strong enough to carry their head , so it is important you support their neck when carrying them upright or about to lay them down.
- Do not shake your new born whether in frustration or play. Shaking them can cause bleeding in the brain and may even lead to death. For instance, if you must wake them you may tickle their feet, blow their cheek gently but never ever shake them.
- When driving out, please securely fasten the new born to the car seat or carrier. Cover the baby from cold and reduce any driving style that l could be rough or bouncy.
- Do not jiggle the baby on the knee or throw them in the air. Just know the new born is not ready for any kind of rough play.
- Make a deep connection with your new born by bonding with them. This is one of the pleasurable parts of baby care because it promotes an emotional connection between parents and infants and this is what contributes to their emotional growth.
- Try to know what your baby likes, some babies may be sensitive to light, a sudden sound or turn away when someone is talking to them. Keep noise and light levels moderate.
- A very powerful soothing technique that works easily with children is swaddling. See the benefits of swaddling here You can See how to swaddle a baby here.
MORE RELATED READ
- Whether you decide to use cloth or disposable diapers, the baby will require attention in that area at least 10 times a day. The most important thing is that the diaper or cloth is clean and diaper wipes ointment are readily available. You will need to change the diaper or cloth after each bowel movement. Keeping it clean will help reduce or prevent the effects of a diaper rash.
- give a sponge bath and use that period to message the baby. Bath the baby at least twice a day.
- Care for the umbilical cord is very important. See how you can take care of the umbilical cord stump her
- Be prepared to feed your baby on demand whenever they seem hungry. The common case is by crying, putting fingers in his mouth or making sucking noises. Basically, by experience, newborns are fed every 2-3 hours. You may need to wake them so that you make sure they have enough they’re eating
- Be prepared to stay awake even in the middle of the night, because even though they sleep for at least 16 hours of the day, you may find that these number of hours may not include all the night hour.
- Choose products that are safe, mild, gentle and most importantly, have been tested for allergies.
- It is normal for babies to cry 2-3 hours of the day. Please as frustrating as this may be, do not abandon the child. Try as much as you can to comfort the baby.
- Use baby wipes and freshing powder after every bath and diaper change
- Another important part of new born care is breastfeeding. Read why we propose EXCULUSIVE BRESTFEEDING.
- To prevent eye infection, monitor your baby’s eyes because bacteria in the birth canal can infect a baby’s eyes. Antiseptic eye drops would be given immediately or later in the nursery. Therefore, there’s serious need to monitor the new born’s eye.
- Keep your doctor’s phone number boldly written some where in the room in case of any emergency.